Dosages for Sildenafil (Generic Viagra)
Sildenafil is both the active ingredient and generic version of Viagra. Despite the difference in name, Sildenafil and Viagra work the same way and have the same effect on ED. Unlike Cialis, Sildenafil must be taken at least one hour before sex, and its effects can last up to 6 hours.1 Sildenafil should also be taken on an empty stomach to work as quickly as possible.
There are three doses available for Sildenafil:2
- 20 mg – The minimum dosage; used to treat mild ED in older men or if there is a risk of complications from certain health issues
- 50 mg – The standard dosage; many men start with this dose and see significant improvements in their ED
- 100 mg – The maximum dosage; prescribed for men with more severe ED that cannot be treated with lower doses
Dosages for Tadalafil (Generic Cialis)
Tadalafil is the generic form of Cialis, and they both use the same active ingredient to treat ED. Tadalafil can be taken as soon as 30 minutes before sex, and it can stay effective for up to 36 hours.3 Tadalafil is also different from Sildenafil (Viagra) in that it can be taken either before or after eating — having food in your stomach won’t delay its effects.
The three approved doses of Tadalafil are:3
- 5 mg – The minimum dosage; your doctor may prescribe this if you want a daily dose of Tadalafil or if you have kidney or liver problems
- 10 mg – The standard dosage; this tablet is designed for occasional use as needed before sex
- 20 mg – The maximum dosage; prescribed when lower doses are ineffective and there’s no risk of harmful drug interactions or health complications
Which Dosage Is Right for You?
If you’re interested in trying Sildenafil or Tadalafil, talk to your doctor about which medication is best for you. After determining the right dosage, the next step is filling your prescription. With MediSuite, you can skip the pharmacy lines and get low-cost ED medication shipped discreetly to your door. Either start an online visit or call us at 919-200-6952 or 1-800-601-0691 to learn more about finding the right dosage and how you can get your medication at the lowest price available.
1. Viagra Dosage. (2021, July 9). Drugs.com. https://www.drugs.com/dosage/viagra.html
2. sildenafil (Rx). (n.d.). Medscape. Retrieved May 9, 2023, from https://reference.medscape.com/drug/revatio-viagra-sildenafil-342834
3. i>Cialis Dosage. (2022, April 1). Drugs.com. https://www.drugs.com/dosage/cialis.html