Sildenafil Side Effects and Safety Information
The side effects of sildenafil are similar to what most men might expect from an ED medication.
Though the benefits of using sildenafil as a treatment for erectile dysfunction are well documented (4 out of 5 men report being able to achieve and maintain an erection firm enough for sex), no medication comes without possible side effects.
MediSuite urges all patients to speak to their doctor first about their erectile dysfunction and the side effects of sildenafil before beginning treatment.
What are the Side Effects of Taking Sildenafil?
Possible side effects may include the following:
- Erections that last longer than 4 hours. “Priapism” is a condition where an erection will not go away. If your erection lasts more than 4 hours, seek medical attention right away. If left untreated, priapism can cause permanent damage to the penis.
- Sudden loss of vision. Sudden loss of vision can be a sign of a serious problem called nonarteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy (NAION). Call your physician right away if you experience vision loss after taking sildenafil.
- Sudden loss of hearing. Although uncommon, some patients may experience a ringing in their ears or feeling of dizziness. Call your physician right away if you experience hearing loss after taking sildenafil.
Other common mild side effects include:
- Muscle aches and pains
- Bloody nose
- Difficulty breathing
If you experience any side effects, talk to your doctor. They may adjust your dosage or suggest lifestyle changes that make the medication work more effectively.
Important Information to Know
It is important that you never take sildenafil with any nitrate medicines, as this may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. Nitrate medicines include:
- Medicines used to treat chest pain
- Nitroglycerin in any form (tablets, patches, sprays, ointments)
- Isosorbide (mononitrate or dinitrate)
- Street drugs called “poppers” (amyl nitrate or nitrite)
Be sure to tell your doctor if you take any of the following medications before considering taking sildenafil:
- Nitrate medicines
- Ritonavir (Norvir®) or other medicines used to treat HIV infection
- Ketoconazole (Nizoral®)
- Itraconazole (Sporanox®)
- High blood pressure medicine
When you are ready to have your prescription filled by MediSuite, or for any questions concerning sildenafil or any of our other great products, contact us by calling (919) 200-6952, toll free at 1(800) 601-0691, or by filling out a brief contact form.